If you are thinking about a demolition project, you need to be well informed on a few things. In most cases, the demolition of structures or buildings will not necessarily require any permission or consent unless it has been proven to have potential negative effects on the environment. While this control may not be required, there are some distinctive areas where consent or control over the demolition is necessary. For this reason, to avoid being on the opposite side of the law, you need to be very careful and find out whether demolition of your building without seeking consent will be legal.

To help you, here are a few circumstances when you might need consent before having your building demolished. 

When The Building You'd Like To Demolish Is Listed

Find out from your council whether the building you wish to partly or completely demolish is listed. If it's a listed building, you will have to apply to the council for a consent before proceeding with the demolition. Listed buildings are those that have some level of heritage significance, both cultural and historical. Such buildings are usually protected from alteration or demolition. Therefore, you might be living or working in such a building without the knowledge that it's heritage listed. For this reason, it's always important to find out first before even hiring your demolition contractors.

When The Building Is Located In A Conservation Area

Buildings that are located in conservation areas will have to be consented first before any demolition is conducted. Find out from your local council or local area planning offices whether the building you'd like to demolish is in a conservation area. Buildings that are not heritage-listed could be within the boundaries of a conservation area. Demolition of such buildings can sometimes be restricted or regulated. For this reason, seek consent from your local council before conducting any demolition work on such a building.

When The Building/Structure You Wish To Demolish Is A Means Of Enclosure (Gate, Wall, Or Fence)

Be very careful when planning to demolish means of enclosure such as gates, wall, or fences, especially those that are near public open spaces, close to a road, or within the boundaries of a conservation area. In most cases, you will need to apply for permission from your council.

You don't want to start demolishing a building only to be learn later that you had no permission to do so. In such cases, you will not only incur legal costs but also the costs of demolition. Therefore, seek consent when planning for any demolition.